Monday, April 04, 2011

Commercial Break

Last summer I had the pleasure of dipping my toes back into commercials.  Uli Meyer kept me busy for a few weeks at his London studio on a couple of spots for Cookie Crisp and Honeystars, both campaigns I had worked on for Uli before moving to France in 2006.

For Honeystars I made these colour keys to set the palette for the spot.  The top left image is based on a layout by Margaux Zinsner.

Stills from the final ad



On Cookie Crisp I was assigned the design of Chip the wolf's latest contraption to pilfer cereal from innocent children.  This time it's a kind of Jet-Ski creation.

I made some rough colour keys for this ad too.

I did a quick thumbnail board to get the animatic started.

Studio artist Sean Hayden put together a fun 'making of' video showing the production process over on Uli's blog

5 comments:

:::Julia Lundman::: said...

those are really great Matt! That's the kind of work I used to do in Chicago. Great fun to work on commercials - these are awesome! I love the color keys.

J

Mick said...

very nice and an inspiring use of colour

Matthew Cruickshank said...

Lovely loose cartoon style!

Matt J said...

Thanks folks, it's always fun to work on these spots with Uli.

Carolyn said...

These are awesome! Great use of color!

Silver MLM