Friday, May 29, 2009

Back to the Riviera

Visiting friends last weekend on the French Riviera I couldn't resist popping down to Cannes for the last day of the Film Festival. I didn't see any screenings -I just wanted to sit outside a cafe & sketch the colourful folk passing by.












Here's a view of the old town of Frejus where I stayed.



I made sure to find time to visit one of my favourite art galleries- the Musee Picasso at Antibes.
For years I had a print on the wall of Picasso's 'La Joie de vivre' at home in London. In Antibes they have the original!


Back in Cannes for lunch the day after the festival closed everything was back to normal & the crowds had evaporated.

9 comments:

MikeS said...

Love how free and expressive your people sketches are. So much life in them. Bravo!

Matt Jones said...

Cheers Mikey- I do my best!

Alan said...

Excellent post! I really get a flavour of the Cannes milieu. And the views are, as usual, masterpieces of economy. Your people sketches remind me of another talented UrbanSketcher, Benedetta:
http://365onroad.blogspot.com/

Matt Jones said...

Hey, thnx Alan-I really admire Ben's work too.

Paul Tuller said...

Awesome sketches!! You did so many all on 1 trip, nice

Anonymous said...

Great work Matt. Have they finally opened the Musee Picasso again? It's been closed for ages but I'm taking a group down there in June and it would be great to know if it was.
best wishes
Will

Matt Jones said...

Cheers Will-yup, the Musee Picasso re-opened last summer after a LONG period of renovation. They have a great collection of work there. Have you been to the chapel at Vallauris?

Unknown said...

Elles sont tres jolies les filles Francaises que tu as dessinées :)
Bises

Matt Jones said...

Les plus belle filles du monde!